Leon's List - 2022 Week 10
Leon’s List is a weekly post about waiver wire players I’m keeping an eye on.
It’s been a rough four week stretch of injuries for my fantasy team. Hollywood Brown goes on IR with a foot injury after playing the Seahawks in Week 6. The following week, Mike Williams suffers a high ankle sprain in the last minutes of the game. Then Deebo sits out with a hamstring injury in Week 8. And to cap it off, Brandin Cooks sits out last Thursday’s game because he was salty for not being traded.
Kevin is probably rolling his eyes after reading that last paragraph. His list of injured players is more severe. Breece Hall is done for the season after tearing his ACL in Week 7. J’Marr Chase is out 4 to 6 weeks with a hip injury. Cordarrelle Patterson just returned from IR after missing 4 weeks with a knee injury. Hunter Renfrow was out for two weeks with a concussion.
Just to keep count, Kevin’s 3rd round pick is out for the year. His 1st and 7th round picks are going to be sidelined for 4+ weeks. His 8th round pick was inactive for two weeks. He definitely had worse injury luck than me, and probably out of everyone in our league.
On the other side of the coin, John O.’s team has kept themselves away from the blue medical tent. Tee Higgins missed one game with a concussion in Week 5. And J.D. McKissic missed last week’s game with a neck issue. That’s pretty much it for players missing games.
John’s recent five game win streak was due in large part by his team’s health. He only lost last week because Justin Fields scored 43.7 fantasy points!
Let’s hope we can all be so lucky…
For those interested in the rest of the research:
- Season Ending Injuries
- Javonte Williams (2nd round, 10 pick - Tyler)
- Breece Hall (3rd round, 10th pick - Kevin)
- Michael Thomas (6th round, 1st pick - Simon)
- Rashad Bateman (6th round, 7th pick - Dyrk)
- Rashaad Penny (7th round, 5th pick - Mat)
- Trey Lance (8th round, 12 pick - Vince)
- Placed on IR
- Elijah Mitchell (3rd round, 4th pick - Shawn)
- JK Dobbins (4th round, 6th pick - John C.)
- Hollywood Brown (6th round, 5th pick - Leon)
- C Patt (7th round, 10th pick - Kevin)
- Missed (or will miss) 3+ Weeks
- Jonathan Taylor (1st round, 1st pick - Vince/Kyle)
- J’Marr Chase (1st round, 10th pick - Kevin)
- D’Andre Swift (2nd round, 2nd pick - Kyle/Vince)
- James Connor (3rd round, 2nd pick - Alan)
- Keenan Allen (3rd round, 11th pick - Kyle)
- Mike Williams (4th round, 5th pick - Leon)
- Darren Waller (5th round, 4th pick - Shawn)
- Dak Prescott (10th round, 1st pick - Simon)
Two managers spent over $10 this past week. John O. spent $15 to grab the Raven’s defense and Caleb Huntley. Mat spent $13 to pick up Joshua Palmer.
Daniel Jones was originally on the list this week but got picked up by Mat on Monday afternoon. I just learned players on a bye aren’t placed on the waiver wire until the start of Monday Night Football. I’m assuming this is because those players haven’t played a game that week, so they can still be picked up. The caveat is that you have to drop a player that didn’t start for you this week to add that player.
My mind is blown. It’s similar to when I realized that a player designated “Out” can be placed in the IR slot.
Jerick McKinnon (RB - KC)
McKinnon out-snapped both Pacheco and CEH last Sunday. He got 62 snaps to their 22 and 17 snaps, repsectively. He didn’t do much on the ground against Tennessee’s top ranked running defense, none of the Chiefs did. But McKinnon was targeted 8 times for 6 catches and 40 yards. Out of all the KC running backs, I like McKinnon the most going forward.
Odell Beckham Jr. (WR)
Jay Glazer reported on Sunday that OBJ can clear health protocols and start practicing by the end of the week. If this timeline holds, he’ll be playing in 2 to 3 weeks. Some teams interested in Odell include the Bills, 49ers, Cowboys, Rams, and Giants. At least half of those teams have great offenses. This is a great stash if you have a bench spot open.
Cade Otton (TE - TB)
Cade Otton took over as Tampa Bay’s leading tight end ever since Cameron Brate went out with his head injuries. Otton had at least 5 targets in 4 out of his last 5 games. He also earned Brady’s trust after that game winning drive against the Rams.
The analysts on Sunday Night Football nicknamed him “Baby Gronk”. I can see it. I can also see him being spoon fed by Brady for the rest of the season.
Cole Kmet (TE - CHI)
Kmet has been given plenty of opportunities over the course of this season. He has been in over 90% of the Bear’s offensive snaps all season. He’s finally making the most of those opportunities. Kmet caught 3 touchdown passes in the last 2 weeks. If Justin Fields continues this hot streak, I want to get in on the action with Kmet.
As mentioned earlier, the Titans defense is excellent against the run. This will force Russel Wilson to throw the ball. And if you haven’t been paying attention lately, Russel Wilson is no Patrick Mahomes. I don’t see him and the Broncos coming back if down multiple scores in the second half. I predict this game will end 12-9 with a ton of sacks and turnovers.
New York Giants Defense
The Giants come off their bye to face the Houston Texans in the Meadowlands. This gives Wink Martindale an extra week to scheme up blitzes against Davis Mills. I think the pass rush gets home more often than not and the Giants run away with this one.
Best Things I Saw
- I had to share this video after watching it on Sunday night. It’s the namesake for my fantasy team! The Vikings have been good but I don’t know if “I like that” against the Bills next week, especially after they were embarrassed by the J-E-T-S.
You already know what @KirkCousins8 was doing postgame. pic.twitter.com/yqa0hj1w2g— Minnesota Vikings (@Vikings) November 6, 2022
- Justin Fields sets the record for rushing yards by a QB last Sunday. He rushed for 178 yards! He got most of those yards on this 61 yard scramble to the house.
JUSTIN FIELDS GOES 61 YARDS FOR SIX! 🔥— NFL (@NFL) November 6, 2022
📺: #MIAvsCHI on CBS
📱: Stream on NFL+ https://t.co/PrdJzxjse4 pic.twitter.com/EaiuoLqHYO